Sunday, April 03, 2016

A Few Professional Influences

I've been reading a great deal about education, innovation and creativity. It has been an interesting few months and the work being done on those subjects is very inspiring. I wanted to pull together a quick top five list of books and video's that I think are worth read and view on the topic.

Creativity Inc. by Ed Catmull, this book is a bit of a behind the scenes of Pixar. A fantastic read on the creative process and on managing and building an organization where creativity is part of the DNA.

Creating Innovators by Tony Wagner, an eyeopening look into what schools can do or not do to support those young people who are thinking big.

The Element by Sir Ken Robinson, a look into the role passion plays in our lives.

Becoming Steve Jobs by Brent Schlender, I'm a sucker for anything Steve Jobs, and this and Creativity Inc. are the two best books I've read about the man.

Team of Teams by General Stanley McChrystal, a fascinating view on innovation in modern military thinking and strategy.

On the video side, I am a huge fan of TED.com. There are five of my favorite on the topics of education, innovation and creativity.

Sir Ken Robinson- How Schools Kill Creativity, a top 20 overall TED talk and worth the time.

Logan LaPlante- Hackschooling, making me wish I could be 12-years-old all over again.

Tom Thum- The Orchestra In My Mouth, just wow. Pushes what you think is possible.

Dr. Tony Wagner talking about education.

Foley Artist- you'll never listen to films the same.

Beyond that a couple of daily reads:

Seth Godin's blog- someone who always pushes my thinking.

Fast Company- I read the paper magazine cover to cover in the first 24 hours it lands in my mailbox, and then I really enjoy the online work they do as well.

There is a quick overview on a few of the influences to my current thinking. I'll be sharing some of those thoughts soon.

Thank you.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home